Female (Insertable) Condom
The female condom is a long pouch with an inner ring and outer ring worn in the vagina. It can be put in up to 8 hours before sex. It works by preventing contact between the sperm and egg.
Availability: No prescription needed, although in many areas female condoms are difficult to find at pharmacies. Can be found in some Planned Parenthood clinics.
Cause of Failures:
- Not using a condom at every intercourse
- Penis slips out of the condom
- Penis is not guided into the condom correctly
- Using in conjunction with the male condom may cause breakage
- Does not offer 100% protection against STD/STI/HIV
- Does not offer any protection against some, such as crabs.
Return to full listing